Monday, May 14, 2012

Having a Job

I have always thought about the day when I would have an actual job. For many years now I have been a babysitter for about ten different families. I loved babysitting because it wasn’t something I had to do EVERY day or on a certain day each week; I could build my own hours and work when I wanted to work. I live a very busy life, so it just worked out perfectly. However, the thing I did not like about just babysitting was that the money flow was not constant. There would be some months where I would have multiple jobs and the money I was making was GREAT! But there were also some dry months where I did not get called, and I was not making anything. Recently I realized that this was going to be a serious issue. I need to start saving my money for college, and I also needed more money to spend. This is when I knew I wanted a real job!

There is a little ice cream parlor in Cedar Rapids called Parlor City. I have been eating there ever since I was a little girl, and I always thought it would be so much fun to work there! I had/have multiple friends that work there, and they only had good things to say about the place, so I decided to apply. I applied right when they opened at the beginning of the season, so I could be one of the first applications reviewed. Soon after I turned in my application, I went in for an interview, and I was hired right on the spot! It was great knowing that as I left, I was officially employed. That same day, Bailey, one of my best friends’, was also hired!

I was incredibly nervous the first time I worked. There was so much to learn, and I was worried that I was going to embarrass myself in front of many people. However, I held my head up high and I was willing to learn everything I needed to because I knew that that was the only way I would improve. And improve, I did! I can make almost anything on the menu, and I have been able to answer costumer questions myself, rather than having to go to someone else for the answer.

Having a job is surprisingly fun! I have met many new people, and I have made many new friends. It is nice going somewhere where you know you will be making money, pleasing people, and having fun with your friends! I always look forward to the days I get to work. My favorite thing about working is the constant money flow. It is nice knowing that I will have a pay check coming in every other week. I have been able to be more independent now with a job. I no longer have to go to my mom to ask for money for lunch or dinner, because I pay for it myself. I know that my being able to pay for things is also nice for my family, and not just me.

Work can be tiring, but I always get a good night sleep afterwards. This is my first official job, and I couldn’t ask for a better starter experience. I love being a part of a team and helping people. It is nice to know that something you made is going to a good cause, whether it is cheering up a little kid, or making a senior citizen’s day with a good ol’ yogurt cone! Parlor City is definitely the ideal place to work, and the free ice cream is also a plus!


No comments:

Post a Comment