Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Review: Wicked

A couple of weeks ago, I went to see Wicked in Des Moines, Iowa. This was the second time I have seen the show. I saw it two years ago, also in Des Moines. The first time I saw it, I really enjoyed it. However, I saw the show before I had gotten the CD or before I did any research on the plot line. I went into the first show not really knowing what was going to happen. Most people would enjoy this, but for me, I like to know what is going to happen before it actually happens. Two years ago, we had okay seats. They weren’t horrible, but they weren’t all that close to the front. I also forgot my glasses (and this was before I had my contacts). This made it even harder to grasp what was going on because I couldn’t see everything in full detail! At the end of the show, I was in awe. I had just seen Wicked and it was amazing. However, the second time, I walked out of the Civic Center, I knew I wanted to see it again!
For Christmas two years ago, I got the Wicked CD. I listen to it CONSTANTLY. And surprisingly when I say constantly, I am not exaggerating. I always have it playing; in my car, in the shower, in my room. It is always on. Because of this, I have picked up on the music VERY WELL. It didn’t take long for me to know the words to every single song. It is a bit ridiculous how much I know and how much I listen to it.  
When my mom told me that she bought tickets for us to see the show again, I knew it was going to be even better! *I forgot to mention that last year while I was in NYC with my choir, we did a Clinic with the dance captains from the Wicked show in NYC and learned some of their songs and dances!* I was so excited and bummed at the same time because I had to wait 2 months to see it!
When we arrived at the Civic Center, it was the exact same set up as it was the first time, but we had even better seats! We were seated directly in the middle, about 14 (out of 75 rows) back. It was amazing. Then, when the show started, I immediately started singing along. Unfortunately, I had to sing along in my head because if I hadn’t I am pretty sure I would have been getting some pretty weird looks from the people sitting near us. The two main actresses who played Galinda (later Glinda) and Elphaba were absolutely amazing! They were great and had great chemistry with each other. Since I knew the story line and what was going to happen, I was able to sit back and relax more than I was able to the first time. I didn’t feel like I had to constantly be paying attention for fear of missing some important information. The second time around I was able to sit back and enjoy the show.
For those who haven’t seen Wicked, I would highly recommend you see it! It is a great show with great music. I guarantee that you will love it whether it is your first time to see it, or if you have seen it five times. It keeps getting better and better. I hope to be able to see it again. And even then, I know I will love it just as much or even more, even though it will be my third time!
GREEN FOR GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment