Sunday, February 12, 2012

Harvey

I have always been very involved in the theater department at my school, and recently I was cast in the play “Harvey” by Mary Chase. I hadn’t really ever heard of this show, but I knew it was going to be a fun experience. I was cast as Veta Louise Simmons, the female lead. I was so excited! The show recently ended this past weekend. It was bitter-sweet, mostly bitter because of how close I became with my cast members.

“Harvey” is a smaller casted show; there are twelve roles total. The thing I loved the most was that no one had a problem with anyone in the cast; we were all friends. As I was thinking last night (our last show was last night), I couldn’t have imagined a better cast with any other people. We were all great people who cared about making the show the best it could be, as well as caring about each other. Because there were only twelve of us, we became exceptionally close. I will never take for granted the friends I made and grew closer with through this experience. We were all great at the parts we played and we are all great people in real life as well. I couldn’t have asked for a better cast. Yes the shows are always fun, but what really makes the experience worthwhile, are the people you meet along the way.

Playing Veta was a very challenging part to play. Veta’s character has a roller-coaster of emotions throughout the whole show. Having to portray all of these in the right way was very difficult. However, it was amazing to see the transformation from our first read-through to our last show. It was crazy how much I felt like I improved as an actress. I feel like I reached a new level to my acting and my skills improved greatly. Although it was very challenging, I was so lucky to get this role and I will forever remember my screaming matches and my sobbing fits on stage!

Even though I basically lived at school this past month, I would never trade free time I would have had for this experience. The things I learned and the friends I made along the way were absolutely amazing, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment