Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Big Head"

This past week I sent in an application for the National Honor Society. It is an organization for high school juniors that show strength in areas of community service, leadership and academic excellence. We were required to write a 250 word essay saying why we should be chosen to be in the National Honor Society. I am a very talkative person when it comes to most topics, but especially when I am talking about myself. My first draft was 700 words, and I knew I had to cut it down significantly. So here is my 300 word essay on why I think I would be a good-fit for National Honor Society:

Ever since freshmen year, I was determined make the most of my high school experience. In order to do this, I am involved in many activities, including show choir, choir, drama, and speech. These are all things I love to do; plus, I have been able to make many friends along the way. I am a friendly person and I am very outgoing. I love reaching out and making people feel welcome. I appreciate when people do the same thing for me; therefore I take the initiative to make others feel included.

Being involved in so many activities makes my schedule very busy, but I am determined not to let my grades reflect how busy I am. I work hard to keep my high grade point average. My grades have always been important to me. Most people say that they keep their grades up to please their parents. However, I keep my grades up to please myself. I know that I can achieve my personal best on anything I do, and therefore I try my hardest to always go above and beyond. 

I am very thankful for the life I have and I like to give back to others who are not as fortunate. I have had opportunities through my church to help out in my community. One example is that I have been mentor for underprivileged kids, helping them improve their reading skills. Forming a bond with the kids gives me the satisfaction that I have done something influential and worthwhile.

Grades are very important to me, but putting myself out there, helping others, and being involved is equally if not more important. Everyone should feel like they have a place where they belong and I want to help make that happen. I am always one to reach out and assist people, no matter what.

As my friend put it, she doesn’t like to “toot her own horn!” But for me, it was nice being able to strictly talk about something I knew VERY well, myself. I know more about myself than anyone else does, so it wasn’t that difficult for me to write. I know that may sound like I have an exceedingly large head, but I really don’t. I just like to talk about things I know best. Even if I don’t get accepted into National Honor Society, I know I can be proud of the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment