Thursday, November 3, 2011

Irrational Fear #2: Clowns

Creepy
Lazy
Outlandish
Weird
Not-normal
Spooky
Another one of my irrational fears: CLOWNS. Why are they so scary?! I think many people would agree with me that clowns are scarier than squirrels. But what makes them so scary to us? Is it the idea of them? The person who is underneath all of the makeup? Or is it just clowns all together? The clothes? The makeup? The balloons? In my opinion, it is EVERYTHING about them.
I know for a fact that I have never liked clowns. My dad didn’t like clowns when he was little and I think his fear rubbed off on me. I remember when I was little, I would watch the television show “NUMB3RS.” There was an episode where they were trying to solve the mysterious disappearance of a young girl. As it turned out, she was kidnapped by the CLOWN at her birthday party. From this point on, my fear of clowns was heightened one hundred and ten percent.
For me, everything about a clown is creepy. The thing I do not like most about clowns is that you don’t know WHO is underneath the baggy clothes and the makeup. It could be some creepy man (or woman). We just do not know. I wouldn’t normally talk to someone that struck me as “creepy,” but when they are in the clown outfit, you have no idea whether or not these people are eerie. I like knowing who I am talking to and the type of person I am talking to. When there is a clown around, you have no idea.
Halloween is the worst time to have this fear. “The Clown Costume” is one of the most common and popular costumes out there. Some are friendly, but most are disturbing. People like to dress up as evil clowns, making my fear even worse because I actually think they are evil. I have been attacked and chased by clowns because I made the mistake of making my fear of them noticeable. These people have even gone as far to chase me into a corner, and have made me cry. I have learned not to make my fear of them apparent because if I do, it will just make matters worse, FOR ME.
Clowns started off as friendly people who liked to make kids laugh. Now, we regard them as creepy people who make some kids cry. I can’t even look at a picture of a clown, let alone be around them without getting the Heebee-Geebees. I wish I didn’t have this fear, but I do. One thing is for sure, when I have kids, there will be NO CLOWNS at any of their birthday parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment