Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"A Bend in the Road"

One of my favorite authors, Nicholas Sparks always keeps me wanting more. This book was a great read that I never wanted to put down.

Sparks, Nicholas. A Bend in the Road. Nicholas Sparks Enterprises. Warner Books, Inc. New York, NY.

(259/341 pages)



                This book was recommended to me by one of my best friends. I went through the process of watching her read it before I did. I knew it would be a great book, because I saw her fall in love with the characters, just as I have today. This book has very relatable characters. I enjoy reading books with these types of characters because it makes it more fun and easier (while still challenging) to read. This is the type of book that is like a movie in my head, and I never want to put it down. However, this book does have some challenging parts to it.

                Throughout the story the narrator and perspective changes. Unlike Things I Want My Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble, it gives you some warning before switching point of views. Because of this, I always have to be aware and ready for a change. This especially makes it hard because you have to adjust while reading to new characters and new ways of viewing certain events. With books like these, you can’t get hooked too much on reading about one character, because it has the tendency to switch when you are least expecting it. Yes it was challenging, but it was also fun because you never had any idea where the author was going to go with it next.

                This book was located in the South. Since I am from the Midwest, it made it hard for me to understand some of the dialect they used. Most of it was understandable, but some of their slang was difficult to interpret. This book was very fun to read, but it was longer. The chapters were long and changed perspectives regularly. This made it hard to adjust to who was talking and I was constantly readjusting.

                The style the book was written in reminded me a lot of Things I Want My Daughters to Know. The style of writing was pretty closely related to one another. Next time I am searching for a book, I am determined to branch out and find something new and totally different than these two books. However, even though the style of this book and “Things….” can be challenging, I really enjoyed reading them and it was fun to challenge myself in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment