Sunday, November 6, 2011

Halloween Memories

Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. I loved it because you got to dress up and act like someone you weren’t and be someone you weren’t for one night! You got to get all cute (or scary) and go around asking people for FREE candy! It was what every kid lived for! What wasn’t there to love?
I always made sure to be something fun every year. But as I got older, I realized that Halloween wasn’t as much fun anymore. The adults realized that I was older and they weren’t as willing to give me candy anymore. I just felt old. I still loved all of the candy, but I sometimes felt bad taking it. In the past couple of years I have been enjoying staying in the warmth and handing out candy. I just love seeing all of the little kids’ costumes! And the feeling when I open the door to “Trick or Treat!!!” would just light up my heart. However, this year was different. I didn’t get to experience that. I had an all-night show choir practice and didn’t get home in time for the trick-or-treaters.
Halloween just wasn’t the same. I spent all day at school! Yes it was fun because I got to be with my buds, but it didn’t feel like Halloween. However, I made sure not to let Halloween just slip by without celebrating at least a little bit. On the Saturday before Halloween, one of my best friends and I decided we were going to carve pumpkins. We ran to the grocery store and picked some out that we thought looked like good ones. As soon as we got back to her house we got right to work. Normally with my parents, I would just carve out a simple face. However, I was not allowed to do something “simple” at her house. They were known on their street for making out-landish pumpkins. So this is what I attempted. She did the face of cat, and it turned out really well! I attempted to do a design that had three ghosts and the word BOO! It was very challenging, but with the help of her and her mom I got it done and it looked really cool! I mean it should, considering it took me almost three hours to complete! Later, we cooked the seeds (and ate them all) and lit up our fabulous pumpkins! It was super fun!
This past Halloween showed me that Halloween doesn’t always have to be about the candy. It is about making memories. Yes, I have always made memories but this one was even more memorable. It was about having a great time with a great friend and making the most out of a unfortunate situation. It is one that I will always remember! But I still wish I would have gotten to see at least ONE trick-or-treater!

No comments:

Post a Comment