Monday, January 30, 2012

My Description of New York City

Last year over Spring Break, the choir department at my school took a trip to New York City, New York. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. It was my first time to New York and I loved every minute of it. I have been to big cities before, such as Chicago and San Francisco, but I had never been any place like New York City.

The Lights: Wow. That is all I can say. People are right when they say that New York City is the city that never sleeps. Time Square was constantly lit up, whether it was noon or midnight, it was always as bright as ever. The flashing signs, the people lit up, the car lights, everything. There was never a dull moment and you were always being distracted by something. Our first night in New York, we went to the Empire State Building. We didn’t go during the day either; we went at night and boy, I am sure glad we did! That is when the lights were really bright and the whole city seemed to be lit up. There were no dark buildings, and there appeared to be nowhere where it was just silent. The lights were bright and some were colorful. It was amazing to get to see “the city that never sleeps.” When I think of New York City, the first things I think of are all of the lights.

The People: There are many different types of people everywhere you go. If you compare the East Coast of the United States to the West Coast or the North to the South, you will see that the people are completely different. However, in New York the people are all different, and are all living in one city together. I remember one experience that was unforgettable was when I was in an elevator with my friend and there were about seven other strangers in there with us. We were the only ones speaking English; everyone around us was speaking a different language. I felt almost like I was a foreigner in my own country. Even when walking down the street, you look around and there were people of different kinds. Many of different ethnicities, some with an interesting style, some with purple and pink hair, some with “rags” on, and some with the fanciest clothing you have ever seen! There were no two people that looked alike. There was always someone to look at. I don’t always like to “people watch” but here, it was what was the most entertaining!

The Atmosphere: Being from Iowa, this was a whole new experience for me. Because I have been raised in an average sized town, I don’t always like big cities. But, New York City was just amazing. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. There was always something to see, something to do, somewhere to go; I was never bored. The honking horns, the constant talking of some sort, the flashing lights, were all amazing. New York City would be such a fun place to live and to work in!

New York City is like a little country within its self. It is a place like I have never seen or been to before, and I have been a lot of places in my life. It is somewhere safe, and somewhere you can go and never get lost without anything to do. It is somewhere I will never forget, and I hope to go back and visit again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment