Monday, January 30, 2012

My Addiction

Addiction: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
We all have our addictions; some are more serious than others and some are mild addictions. Some people are addicted to drugs, some people are addicted to technology and some people are addicted to a certain type of food. What is my addiction? I am addicted to my chapstick.
When I say that I am addicted to my chapstick, I don’t mean in a way that will affect my life forever, or that will cause me trauma. In my case, addiction means LOVE. I do not leave the house without my chapstick. I do not share my chapstick; my chapstick is MY chapstick. I use my chapstick twenty four/seven. You can ask all of my friends, I never go anywhere without my chapstick by my side.
I can’t really recall when my love of chapstick first came about. The first kind I really got hooked on was Carmex. This was probably one of the worst decisions I could have made when it came to chapstick. As I have been told many times, there is something in Carmex that can cause your lips to become addicted to it, and when this happens, your lips are never the same. Something Carmex uses in it is detrimental to your lips’ health. It seems like it is working, but what it really does is eat away at the outer layer of skin on your lips, and when this happens you just want to use the Carmex even more because your lips appear to be “dry.” After I realized what I was doing to my lips, I had to start weaning myself off of Carmex and I had to switch brands.
These days I use Blistex. I love any flavor of Blistex. So far the Raspberry and Mint kinds are my favorite. I love the way it feels on my lips and how soft my lips seem to feel. My Blistex is always in my pocket, ready to go when I need it. I do not know what I would do without my Blistex! It is almost like it is my best friend; it is always there for me when I need it and it never lets me down!
Sometimes it is hard for me to admit that I am indeed addicted to my chapstick, but it is the truth. I do not know what I would do without it. I am astonished at how some people don’t even use chapstick. How are their lips not completely dry?! I feel as though my overuse of Carmex before permanently damaged my lips and therefore I will have to use chapstick for the rest of my life. But you know what? I am perfectly okay with that because I LOVE MY CHAPSTICK and I AM ADDICTED TO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment